For all of you who have been holding your breath wondering what my One-Word Resolution for 2011 was, the delay was due to practicing the word too much in regards to worrying about posting to the blog.
here’s the word:
Yep, my goal is to RELAX. That seems to mean not-beating-myself-up about not posting on more than a monthly basis. But it has strong connections to the rest of my life, too.
Specifically, I want to relax regarding:
- schoolwork (this is getting easier this semester because I’m taking my two most-difficult classes pass/fail, and I have decided to read what I want to read and not read what I don’t want to read; also, I’m pretty sure that my Board will never see my grades for this semester, so that takes some of the pressure off that I felt my first two years of seminary! What I’m doing now is learning what I need to know for the parish and for myself)
- ordination/commissioning/my future (this is completely out of my control… and the beauty of this system is that I don’t have to worry about where I will go… I just go where sent! No use worrying about it in the meantime… at least this is what I keep telling myself)
- getting a job/itineracy/finding out where I will live (see above!)
- relationships (I’m surprising myself how calm I’ve been regarding future-life decisions… feeling at peace about waiting for things to unfold, however they will, and enjoying life in the meantime!)
- money (I have enough in savings to get me through June… and in July I [should] get a paycheck! I am REALLY looking forward to having an income… budgeting should get a little bit easier when the income column is something other than $0)
- being perfect… because I’m not.
There are many day-to-day situations when I find myself just saying, “Relax. You’ll get through this.” I want this to be my word throughout the year, defining my emotional/mental state no matter what happens.
The picture is of me at one of my most relaxed… jumping off a waterfall in Trinidad, where I was visiting a dear friend and college apartmentmate. I want to relax—and just jump!—this year.